Add me to the ranks of Cannonballers who enthusiastically recommend this book. And the only reason it’s not fully enthusiastic is that Dr. Mütter’s Marvels wasn’t quite what I thought it would be.
I read a fair amount of so called “self-help” books; some because the subject interests me, some because they’ve been recommended to me, and some even though I know I may roll my eyes through 90% of the book and get something of worth from the other 10%. So this book was kind of a good news/bad news situation for me: the good news was that I found useful information in about half the book. The bad news is that the first half of the book gave me whiplash.
So…I don’t know if I wanted to enjoy this book or not. I probably wouldn’t have picked it up if it weren’t for Ancillary Sword being part of this year’s Hugo nominations, and because I don’t like reading/watching sequels without first having read/watched the, well, first in the series.
The short synopsis of Heavy Fire is: Two diplomats and their bodyguards, caught in the first crossfire of both a civil and planned multi-national war, have to escape assassination, find allies, and find a way to prevent their home country from being dismantled from within. But the novel is so much more than that.
Inside Job was another novella I picked up from the Subterranean Press Humble Bundle (Like Amityville Horrible), and it deals with spiritualists and spiritualism, but that’s about it for what the two books have in common.
Since I was a bit disappointed with the last couple of books I read (one quite a bit more than the other), I thought it was time to go Crazy for a while. Good old Crazy. I love Crazy. I know I shouldn’t. It’s a small, backwater, two-stoplight one-horse kind of town. (Kindle Edition, Location 42)
“[…]All he needed was a little faith.” “In humanity?” Ginger asked dryly. [Lacey] met his gaze directly. “Don’t be ridiculous. In the circus.” — Location 2587, Kindle Edition I haven’t stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish a book since I was in my 20s. A Circus of Brass and Bone, however, not only kept me up most of the night reading but also proves that not all circuses/carnivals in fiction are questionable at the least, creepy on average, and downright evil at worst. The individuals in the Loyale Traveling Menagerie, Hippodrome, Circus, and Museum of Educational […]
My final review for 2014 is a collection of short stories by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen), perhaps best known for Out of Africa and Babette’s Feast. This collection is my first exposure to Dinesen’s work; the title and time of year made it seem appropriate. I have read a few re-imagined fairy tales this year, but Winter’s Tales does not fit the fairy tale model. In fact, after reading the first few stories, I wasn’t sure what to make of them at all and considered putting this book aside and finding something else to read. The stories seemed dark, somewhat […]