Cannonball Read (CBR) is an online, memorial book challenge to read and review 52 books in a year (or 26 or 13) with a mission to donate profits to the American Cancer Society. We’re essentially a virtual book club where participants read what they want and write what they want, all while shouting to the world, “F— Cancer!”
CBR honors Amanda “AlabamaPink” Amos, our fierce warrior queen who lost her battle with cancer in 2009. She was a true Pajiban (see Pajiba), filled with eloquence and sass. Cannonballers since that time have read over 20,000 books in her memory and have donated over $8,500 in her name.
- The Pajiba staff’s tribute to AlabamaPink
- Dustin Rowles, owner of Pajiba, Obituary of AlabamaPink.
- The first Cannonball Read
CBR got its start in September 2008 on the pop culture website, Pajiba, as a battle royale between AlabamaPink and Prisco (aka Brian Prisco). The race was on to see who could read 100 books first within a year’s time. Other ‘Jibans wanted in, so they opened the competition to all who were willing to take up the challenge. Sadly, our Warrior Queen left us before she could complete the race, but Prisco and other participants forged on. Read Prisco’s recap.
Cannonball Read 2
In the fall of 2009, a second Cannonball Read was organized. This time, over 100 Pajibans wanted in. Probably helped by the fact that the number of books to be read was made a bit more attainable, 52 in a year, though this year, reviews of books read were required. Thirteen participants made it to the the end; reading and reviewing 52 books between November 1, 2009 & October 31, 2010. For all of those who completed the challenge and to honor Miss Pink, a donation was made by Pajiba to the college fund for her son, Lil A.
And as time went on, the following Cannonball Reads were held:
- Cannonball Read 3 in 2011
Over 150 Pajibans participated, and their reviews counted in the thousands. This third races saw the advent of a group blog, where all participants posted reviews or links to reviews on their own blogs. During this race, Cannonballers could select a fraction of the whole 52, but donations still only counted for those completing the whole. 25 people made it to 52 books, 17 to half (26) and 15 to a quarter cannonball (13).
- Cannonball Read 4 in 2012
243 people, including four junior Cannonballers read and reviewed, at best count, a grand total of 3,163 books! 32 people made it to 52 books, 18 to half (26) and 19 to a quarter cannonball (13), and two people who did a double Cannonball of 104 books! Get all the details here.
- Cannonball Read 5 in 2013
333 people read and reviewed 3,720 books, and three people to date who have done a double Cannonball of 104 or more. Find out who they were and read the wrap-up.
- Cannonball Read 6 in 2014
Began a new incarnation with this dedicated website, where we really ramped up our donations to fight cancer. All book links to amazon.com included our affiliate link, we enabled ads on all pages, and set up a new Paypal fund.
- Cannonball Read 7 in 2015
For the seventh read we made sure to pay website fees first, and then all following proceeds from donations and links were donated to the American Cancer Society.
- Cannonball Read 8 in 2016
Participants reviewed 3,415 books, read over 1,000,000 pages, and raised $1,275 for the American Cancer Society.
- Cannonball Read 9 in 2017
Ended on December 31, 2017. 4,146 books reviewed, and total pages Read: 1,285,000+ CBR9 donated $860 to the American Cancer Society.
- Cannonball Read 10 in 2018
There were 4,390 reviews in 2018, and CBR donated $1,625 to the American Cancer Society.
- Cannonball Read 11 in 2019
There were 5, 349 reviews in 2019, and CBR donated $1,675 to the American Cancer Society.
- Cannonball Read 12 in 2020
There were 4,086 reviews in 2020, and CBR donated $1,650 to the American Cancer Society.
This year’s Cannonball Read 13
Cannonball Read Wrap Up Articles on Pajiba.com
- CBR12 – first to 52: BlackRaven January 31, 2020
- CBR11 – first to 52: vel veeter January 25, 2019; Final Standings
- CBR10 – first to 52: vel veeter February 25, 2018; Final Standings
- CBR9 – first to 52: Classic February 9, 2017; Final Standings
- CBR8 – first to 52: badkittyuno March 17, 2016; Final Standings
- CBR7 – first to 52: Janniethestrange March 25, 2015; Final Standings
- CBR6 – first to 52: Travis J Smith January 31, 2014; Final Standings
- CBR5 – first to 52: Jen K May 3, 2013
- CBR4 – first to 52: Malin May 15, 2012
- The First Cannonball Read