Congratulations, September has arrived and you are still here. To celebrate, let’s share our reads of the summer (time has no meaning, pick your own start date for “summer”), and what you are looking forward to reading next.
Tell us about what you’ve read, tried reading, want to read in any way you want. Are you reading books, fan fiction, or articles on the internet? Are you listening to audiobooks? Categorize your reads however you want. You don’t have to have written any reviews. You can add a little bit about your read if you want.
The books I keep rereading:
- Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. Because an anxious SecUnit who hates feelings and can murder all my enemies is where I go to de-stress.
- Deal With the Devil by Kit Rocha. The post-apocalyptic road-trip to find the lost Library of Congress and save some super soldiers from themselves is a nice action break
- Katrina Jackson’s Office Hours, Pink Slip and Grand Theft N.Y.E are so delightful I haven’t stopped rereading them long enough to write reviews.
The books that took me by surprise:
- Milla Vane’s a Gathering of Dragons books, A Heart of Blood and Ashes, A Touch of Stone and Snow and The Beast of Blackmore. I was not expecting to be so completely sucked into these books. Really fantastic. It’s Conan meets Game of Thrones, but written by a woman, so a lot less rape. If anyone wants to read these and then have a Zoom call where we talk about them. let me know.
- Tasha L. Harrison’s Liquor & Laundry. On the cover it calls itself an erotic novella and though I know erotic romance can also be very emotional, I was completely surprised by the swoon-fest of emotions. Hadassah and Ahmad are so soft and gentle with each other
The book that disappointed me:
- Chaos Reigning by Jessie Mihalik. It was fine, but not as good as the first two books in the series. It suffered from my expectations.
The book I gave up on:
- Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh. Don’t worry, I will be reading the remaining 17 books in this series.
The book I am definitely going to reread:
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole. I always do better with thrillers on re-read.
What’s up next on my tbr:
- The Duke Who Didn’t, by Courtney Milan. An advance reader copy just landed on my Kindle, and I’ll be reading it as soon as I hit publish on this post. (edit: I scheduled this post so either I’m reading it now or I stayed up all night and am rereading it now)
- If the Boot Fits by Rebekah Weatherspoon. A Cinderella re-telling.
- Peace Talks by Jim Butcher. The hardcover is currently residing under my work laptop.
So, what about you? How would you describe your summer reading? Whether you tackled the years old books on your tbr, picked up and put down 6 books, or really indulged in your favorite fan fiction tags, we want to hear about it. Please share what you’ve been reading and what you plan to read next. No reviews required