The CBR12 Book Bingo Reading Challenge has ended. Please see the Bingo main page for details about this year’s challenge.
Welcome to the 2020 Book Bingo Reading Challenge, we are delighted to bring it back for a third year! Select five squares across, down, diagonally, or 5-up (four corners + center square), and get an entry into a drawing for some cool prizes. Complete the entire card – a blackout! – and get 15 entries into our drawing. Download your game card below, and post your reviews tagged with cbr12bingo for chances in our prize raffle. You can ask questions, ask for suggestions in the comments below and in the monthly check-in posts. You can also ask for suggested books and clarifications in the comments here, the check-in posts, and in the Facebook group Cannonball Read Book Chat.
Official CBR12 Book Bingo Reading Challenge Card
- Red – A book with a red cover or “red” in the title.
- How-To – A non-fiction book that tells you how to do something, or would enhance your knowledge base; books like cookbooks, household repair, gardening books, grammar and punctuation, or something related to your professional field. We would prefer that you not review The Anarchist Cookbook.
- UnCannon – Not written by an old white man. Challenge yourself as much as you are able.
- The Roaring 20’s – A book set in, published in, or about the 1920’s – any genre.
- Music – A book about music, a musician, a band – fiction or non-fiction.
- Gateway – The book by a favorite author or in a favorite genre that you recommend to interest a new-to-the-author/genre reader.
- Orange – A book with an orange cover or “orange” in the title.
- Nostalgia? – A book set during the period of time that was your teen years – fiction or non-fiction.
- Pandemic – Forget those categories, read whatever you want!
- Shelfie – From your own shelf, previously read or not. If you are able, we would love it if you could show us a picture of the book on your shelf, either in the review or on social media (don’t forget to tag @cannonballread).
- Fresh Start – First book in a series you have not read before. (If you are an ebook kind of person, Amazon and B&N often have the first book in a series for free.)
- White Whale – That book you’ve been meaning to read for years.
- Yellow – A book with a yellow cover or “yellow” in the title.
- Friendship – A book that portrays an important friendship.
- Book Club – a book from a 2019/2020 book club – any book club. Lots of people, organizations, and libraries have virtual book clubs, including Cannonball Read; any will do.
- Cannonballer Says – a book you picked up based on the recommendation of a Cannonballer or because of a discussion on social media with Cannonballers.
- Debut – Debut authors are having a rough time right now. If you have the means to pick up a 2020 debut release, please do so. If you don’t, any author’s debut work, any year.
- Happy – Spread happiness! Review a book that makes you happy, about something that makes you happy, or a book about how to be happier (like The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky http://thehowofhappiness.com).
- Green – A book with a green cover or “green” in the title.
- Adaptation – a book that has been, or is in the works to be made into a film or TV series.
- No Money! – Review a book for which you paid no money (subscriptions and bartering ok).
- Money! – A fiction or non-fiction book about money, acquiring money legally or illegally, or following the money. For example, The World According to Fannie Davis is a non-fiction book about the informal lottery, or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has a major element of following the money (and Lisbeth steals a bunch of money from bad men).
- Repeat – A book that fits an already fulfilled category, but you really want to read and review it.
- I Wish… – A book about a place you wish you could be, people you wish you could hang out with, or about something you wish you could be doing.
- Violet – A book with a violet cover or “violet” in the title.
- The CBR12 Book Bingo Reading Challenge begins on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on Saturday, October 31, 2020. Only books that have reviews posted during this time period count towards completing a bingo. You can begin the reading challenge at any time during this period.
- Books must have been read during 2020.
You must tag the review on cannonballread.com with cbr12bingo and not any other variation. When using the autofill, make sure you are selecting cbr12bingo. Please do not add the ‘#’ in your tag, just the text cbr12bingo, all one word.
- Follow the bingo card graphic above to make your book choices.
- Once a square is crossed off, it’s crossed off for good! (Feel free to print the bingo card to keep track.)
- Bingo: Complete a horizontal, vertical or diagonal line and receive one entry into our prize drawing raffle. Four corners plus center square counts as a bingo too.
- Blackout Card: Complete all 25 squares and receive 2 additional entries into our prize drawing raffle.
- In your review, state which square the book fulfilled, either at the top or the bottom of the review. Please make it easy to find!
- Please state in the review how the book fulfills the category. Some categories are subjective, and some are more specific. Some books will be self-explanatory, but some, like I Wish… need a sentence such as, “this book is set in this place I wish I could visit,” or “the characters are doing this thing I wish I could do.”
- Select your first square carefully. You can only start a new board if you have completed a full bingo board, a blackout (See #7). If you realize you have labeled a review in error after publication, please email rochelle at cannonballread dot com and let her know.
- Reader’s Choice: This is a “floating” square that you can use to skip one category and review the book of your choice instead. Only one floating square may be used per player per card. You must review a book for this square, but you don’t have to follow the category/topic. Please state which square you are replacing with “Reader’s Choice” at the top or the bottom of the review.
- One book fulfills one square. If a book can fit multiple squares, pick the one that works best for you.
- All Cannonball Read rules apply to the CBR12 Book Bingo Reading Challenge.
By completing each bingo, you’ll receive one entry into our prize drawing to be held after October 31. Complete all 25 squares and receive 2 additional entries into our prize drawing raffle (for a total of 15 entries). Detailed prize information to follow. Watch for details in our check-in posts.
Getting Your Hands on Books
The pandemic may or may not be impacting your ability to access books. With that in mind, there are a few online resources for free e-books.
If you are having a hard time fulfilling a square, please feel free to send us a message via the contact form.