Two different podcasts I listened to talked about this book and the two made-for-TV movies based on it. I’d never read it. I do like to read books that are generally considered “terrible” or “so bad it’s good” and I know so many people who like (if not love) this series. People? Can I ask you? Why?
I was reading the ebook and I made it to 49% of the way through and had to stop. I was bored and irritated. I didn’t care about any of the characters. I didn’t care about what was happening to them. I didn’t care if they ever got out of the attic. Maybe that last bit is because I’m a misanthropic introvert and the idea of living in an attic and not having to deal with the outside world didn’t sound that bad at all.
- They didn’t have to go to school.
- They didn’t have to attend family functions.
- They didn’t have to go outside.
- Their mother brought them toys and games and books.
- They had all the time in the world to read and nap and listen to music.
- They had all the time in the world to practice ballet and art.
- Did I mention they didn’t have to attend family functions or deal with people?
Beyond that, I could not handle the writing. I think my Kindle is permanently stained purple.