Our September book club is coming up quickly, we’re just two weeks away. Our non-western literary fiction choice In Praise of Hatred by Khaled Khalifa has lots for the reader to absorb and think about.
Our group chat about this book will get going around 2 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday September 13th, both here and in our Facebook group, the Book Chat. Book Club is open to anyone and everyone. If there’s a topic, thought or opinion you’d like to see addressed, leave a comment down below and I’ll see what I can do about getting it included in the main post here or over on Facebook.
As a reminder to get finished here is a preview of our Discussion Topics for next #CannonBookClub meeting:
- The book focuses on Aleppo of thirty years ago. What meaning does it make for you of the Aleppo of the past few years?
- Though unnamed, our narrator is a part of the majority Sunni population, and is led by her politically active uncles, to embrace the hatred of the Alawite minority. How does that relate to your country today?
- What does the multifaceted understandings of the various women living in the same society illuminate for you?
- How do you feel Khalifa managed in his writing from a feminine voice?
- Khalifa has suffered violence for his work, does that feel justified to you?
Okay everyone, I’ll see you on the 13th to start chatting.